In January 2017, Daniel and I started leading a small group (aka ‘foundation group’) for young married couples. Every other week, we met to discuss the books we were reading and go through the corresponding homework, and on the in-between weeks, we just had fun watching movies or bowling or eating meals together. Sometimes we would all stay together, and sometimes the guys and girls would split and do their own thing.
During the very first girls-only night we had, Sheridan made what we now affectionately refer to as “THE chocolate chip cookies.” They were just regular old oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, but something – be it coconut oil, fierce sugar cravings, or an act of God – transformed them into warm, gooey pieces of heaven. Some of the best cookies any of us had ever had.
Also, it was probably the *sweetness* of community that made them special…
……………see what I did there?
These cookies became, as Kendra so perfectly put it, our foundation group mascot. I think almost all of us have made them at one point or another, and every time I make them, I associate them with friendship and wonderful memories.
Sometimes, you just don’t feel like shaping 37 individual cookies.
So you get lazy and make a bar version.
And they turn out to be flippin’ delicious.
CHOCOLATE CHIP OATMEAL BARS
Prepare for a seriously emotional eating experience, because these are so good you might cry your guts out.
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 20-25 MINUTES
YIELD: 15 BARS
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. cinnamon
2½ cups old-fashioned oats
1½ cups brown sugar
1¼ cups butter, melted
1 tbsp. vanilla
2½ cups chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×13 pan and set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add old-fashioned oats, then brown sugar.
- Melt butter and pour into the bowl. Mix for one minute.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and mix until the dough is well-combined. It may be a little crumbly.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Press dough evenly into the prepared 9×13 pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Test by sticking a knife or toothpick in the center. When it comes out clean, the bars are done. They may look a little underdone, but that’s okay – they should! That keeps them nice and moist.
- Allow to cool before cutting into bars….or just eat them straight out of the oven. Whatever floats your boat.
Burnt tongue advisory: because you’ll probably eat the whole pan immediately.
2 thoughts on “Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars”
I tried.. I failed. Can you please make me some 👩🏼🍳😭🤷🏼♀️🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🍪🍪🍪